Looking to earn cash back on your daily expenditures? Don’t want to pay an annual fee? Enter the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card, which was introduced in early 2016 following a successful trial run involving 32,000 existing Tangerine clients. The card, which brings a new level of choice to consumers, has created quite a buzz for its unique and flexible rewards structure. Is it right for you? Let’s take a look at the fine print.
The no-fee card gives cardholders the ability to choose where they earn the most rewards. Unlike similar cash back options which offer top earnings on gas and groceries only, Tangerine cardholders select their two favourite spending categories to max their Money-Back Rewards, including:
- Home Improvement
- Recurring Bills
- Drug Store
- Public Transport and Parking
Purchases made within the selected categories will earn 4% on the dollar for the first three months (2% after that), with 1% earned on all other spending. Money-Back Rewards are paid out monthly, and while cardholders can choose to directly apply them to their credit card balance, the card is designed to reward savers; those who deposit their Money-Back Rewards into their Tangerine Savings Account get a third spending category to maximize their earnings.
Mix And Match Your Spending
According to Tangerine, groceries remain the most popular category, followed by restaurants and gas. But it’s this ability to select spending categories that really sets this card apart from other cash back options as it allows consumers to customize their rewards to their specific spending habits – and no other cash back card on the market offers such a wide variety of spending options without an annual fee.
Said Peter Aceto, President and CEO of Tangerine in a press release, “We want to help Canadians make smarter decisions with their hard-earned money and this now includes giving them more choice when it comes to their spending. Whether it’s groceries, gas, entertainment or other everyday spending needs, our new credit card puts money back in the pockets of our Clients, allowing them to save while they spend.”
How Much Could You Earn?
How much could you earn using Tangerine’s Money-Back Credit Card? Assuming you’ve opted to “spave” (Tangerine-speak for funneling rewards into savings) and have chosen the Food, Gas and Pharmacy categories, here’s what you could earn over a 12-month period:
Assuming $1,119 is spent on the card monthly in the following categories*:
Within the first 3 months: $112.02
The remaining 9 months: $156.87
TOTAL EARNINGS: $291.21
*Statistics Canada Annual Household Expenditure
This Card is Great If:
- You want to earn rewards without having to pay an annual fee
- You want to grow your savings
- You prefer to pay your bills with automated credit card payments
- You don’t carry a balance on your credit card
- You’re a commuter who regularly pays for transit, gas or parking
- You’re a frequent traveler, but don’t want to carry a more expensive travel card
- You frequently eat out at restaurants
- You are renovating your home
- You spend the most on groceries and drugstore purchases each month
This Card Isn’t So Great If:
- You tend to carry a balance from month to month
- You are a frequent traveler and require additional insurance coverage on your card
- You prefer a credit card with high-end perks such as concierge and lounge access
- You want to earn specific types of rewards (AIR MILES, Aeroplan, etc.) or the ability to convert your points
- You want the ability to trade points in for travel or merchandise